As I work on this month and next, revolting and raising hell, I’m getting nervous about how I will lead an effective hell raising. I’ll tell you why I’m nervous. This month, I’m devoted to researching Women’s Rights and next month, I’ll be revolting in the name of said rights. Obviously, Women’s Right are closely tied in with a nasty F-word that no women wishes to utter:
- Age. There is a 7 year difference between the two of us. Nearly a generation, if you think about it. With her being younger, she wasn’t faced with the same gender related struggles I was faced with.
- High School. She was in high school which hosts a whole other set of problems. On her plate, she dealt with finding her place as an adolescent amongst knuckleheads, nerds, and popular kids. The world’s injustices were not in the forefront of her mind.
And there could be other, less obvious reasons that mold a 17 year-old girl’s psyche. But I wanted to press the issue further. “Do you think women should get paid the same wage/salary as man?” I asked her.
“Well you know that we don’t, right? You know that a woman will earn two thirds of what a man earns while being in the same occupation.”
She frowned. “I guess I knew that.” She shrugged and refused to explain the logic behind this.
- A woman should have authority over her own body when it comes to health and reproductive issues.
- A woman should be paid the same dollar amount as a man when doing the same job.
- A woman shouldn’t be physically/emotionally abused in her own home (or anywhere else for that matter) at the hands of a lover/boyfriend/husband.
- A woman should wear what she feels comfortable in without fear of being raped.
- A woman can be a lesbian without getting hassled for it.
- A woman shouldn’t be sold into sex slavery.