(Check out part II here)
I know it’s extremely premature to ask right now, but I’m excited to be back in a climate that works well for the holidays. Today it’s a crisp 59 degrees in Toledo and it’s got me thinking ahead to apple ciders, pumpkin picking, and falling leaves!
Halloween is also on my mind.
This year I’m wondering what to dress up as. Yes, I’m dressing up, don’t judge the child that’s still lives in me! I have two ideas, but at the moment, I can only share one with you. The other is tied into another project that a friend and I are working on. . .
But this present idea involves this sexy lady:
Here are some groovy facts surrounding Trekkie Starlet, Uhura:
- Lieutenant Uhura is a chief communications officer who speaks Swahili.
- Uhura was the first character of African decent featured on American network television.
- Uhura’s name comes from the Swahili word Uhuru, meaning “freedom.”
- Nyota (her first name) is also a Swahili word, meaning “star.”
- The actress who played Uhura, Nichelle Nichols, was going to leave the series after one season, but after talking to Martin Luther King, who convinced her that her positive role on television was good for the black community, she stayed!
- She took part in the first on-screen interracial kiss on American television with Captain Kirk (William Shatner)